Due to our strategically located manufacturing sites, we are closer to our customers.
Almatis GmbH was founded in 1982 when Almatis former parent Alcoa acquired the business from BK Giulini. The legal entity consists of the Ludwigshafen manufacturing site and the Frankfurt/Main global office. The plant in Ludwigshafen produces high-quality materials for the refractory, ceramic and polishing industries all over the world. During its years of operation, production capacity has increased considerably. Ludwigshafen is located approximately 75 km from Frankfurt, on the Rhine River. Raw material is received by barge from Rotterdam and stored in silos. Finished products are shipped by truck to customers in Europe.
Almatis B.V. was founded in 1967. It was one of the first production plants of Almatis in Europe. Today there are two plants at the site. The plant in Rotterdam produces high-quality raw materials for the refractory, ceramic and chemical industries all over the world. It is the only plant within the Almatis family to produce calcium aluminate cement which is used in high-alumina monolithic refractories. Because it has operations close to the Port of Rotterdam in the Netherlands, Almatis is highly experienced and skilled in logistics and has logistical advantages in its relations with customers all over the world. Alumina feedstock is received by ship, deposited at harborside silos and delivered by truck to the facility. Finished products are shipped worldwide from the harbor. The plant also has direct river access and a rail connection for European deliveries.
Almatis business activities in India trace back to 1995. At its Falta plant, Almatis Alumina Private Limited processes Tabular Alumina from Europe. For the Indian refractories, ceramics and polishing markets, Almatis Alumina Private Ltd. offers the full Almatis specialty alumina product portfolio, including Tabular Alumina, Calcined Alumina, Calcium Aluminate Cement, Reactive Alumina and Spinel. As part of the global Almatis policy, the Falta site is committed to environmentally friendly solutions and safe operations.
Almatis Limited was originally established in 1986 as Alcoa Kasei Limited and merged with Moralco Limited to form Alcoa Chemicals Japan Limited in December 2002. Today Almatis Limited is a joint venture owned 80% by Almatis and 20% by Morimura Bros. Inc. The Iwakuni plant was built at Iwakuni City, Yamaguchi, Japan and completed in August 1975. Iwakuni produces high quality Tabular Alumina T-60 and T-162 to serve Japanese, Southeast Asian and Australian markets. Feedstock is received by vessels, and finished products are delivered by truck (98%) and by coastal ships.
Qingdao Almatis Co. Ltd. consists of the Huangdao manufacturing site and the regional head office in Qingdao. Since then Qingdao Almatis has introduced additional sales locations in Kaifeng, Wuhan and Guangzhou to be truly closer to its Chinese customers. The Huangdao plant, which was established in 1998 in the Trade and Economic Development Zone in the port city of Huangdao, had until recently imported and processed Tabular Alumina CD balls from Almatis locations in Europe and the US. After the US$18 million investment in the expansion, which includes two new tabular converters and a completely new tabular CD processing line, the facility now possesses a state-of-the art, fully integrated production line for the manufacture of Tabular Alumina. Responding to the rising market demand in Asia Almatis investedUS$ 40 million into a second plant, which started manufacturing first calcined alumina products in 2012. Qingdao Almatis is now capable of producing and supplying its customers in mainland China and South East Asia even more timely and efficiently with the expected quantity and quality of specialty alumina products.
The legal entity of Almatis, Inc. consists of the manufacturing sites Bauxite (Arkansas), Dalton (Georgia), Leetsdale and Neville (Pennsylvania).
The Bauxite, AR facility was opened as a bauxite refinery in 1952. In 1954 and later in 1959, parts of Alcoa's chemical processes in East St. Louis, Illinois were transferred to the Bauxite facility. The facility acted as a combination chemical and refining plant until the Arkansas bauxite mines were shut down in 1990. Today, the plant is one of the largest of Almatis' operations, producing Tabular Alumina and various grades of Calcined Alumina. The Tabular Alumina plant was modernized in 1996. During 2001 and 2003, the Specialty Hydrates plant was upgraded with significant capital expenditure. The Arkansas facility, which includes two process lakes, is located on 400 acres at the base of the Ozark Mountains. The facility receives feedstock via rail, and ships finished and semi-finished product by rail and truck. This site also includes a process analytical lab for customer testing.
The Leetsdale, PA facility, located 20 miles from Pittsburgh, PA, was established in 1994 as a warehouse for the Northeast customer base and as a crushing and screening facility for refractory aggregates. In 2000 the plant was expanded: the facility now crushes and screens all of the Americas produced Tabular Alumina and grinds all calcined alumina from the Bauxite facility and is the center for Almatis' North American production and distribution. The site also includes a process analytical lab and applications lab for customer testing and product development, as well as an office complex to serve as the North American administrative and sales headquarters. The facility is located along the Ohio River. Feedstock is delivered from the Bauxite facility by rail, and products are shipped by rail and truck to Almatis' customers.
The Neville, PA facility, which has been processing alumina for Almatis since 1995, was acquired by Almatis on January 16, 2006 and adds additional grinding capacities to the nearby Leetsdale facility. The Neville Grinding Center has the capability to dedust, grind and package calcines products including RGA, A2, A10, A14, CT800, A35 and A3500. These products serve as the backbone of our Americas' premium calcines product portfolio. The site also includes a process analytical laboratory in operation since 1999. All products are produced 'make to order' or via our kanban-based Almatis Business System, and are shipped by rail, truck and bulk truck to Almatis customers.
The Dalton, GA facility was established in 1984 and refurbished in 1991. The Almatis facility in Dalton produces Ground Bayer Hydrate, which is used primarily as a flame retardant in plastics and carpets due its chemical composition, which adsorbs heat and releases steam acting as a fire extinguisher and reducing smoking density. The facility is ideally located at the center of the carpet manufacturing industry for the United States. Feedstock is received by rail and products are delivered by truck.
The Burnside alumina refinery, located on the Mississippi River north of New Orleans, started producing smelter grade alumina (SGA) in 1958. In 2013 Almatis upgrades to the refinery make it a dedicated specialty alumina producer of the high quality feedstocks needed to globally fulfill Almatis’ Premium Alumina standards. The refinery production capacity of near 500,000 mt and its location adjacent to a deep-water port and alumina load out facility bring capabilities for supplying Almatis’ alumina feedstock needs in-house. The global and secure supply is more assured for the long-term with the Burnside refinery fully integrated into the Almatis manufacturing network.